Welcome to Never Ending Voyage
We are Simon Fairbairn & Erin McNeaney, a couple who sold everything we owned and left the UK in 2010 to travel the world forever.
With just a carry-on size backpack each we’ve been slow travelling our way around the world as digital nomads, earning a living on the road by creating iPhone apps for travellers at Voyage Travel Apps and from this travel blog. Read more about us.
Travel Gear and Packing Light
We highly recommend travelling with carry-on luggage only. I have written a book, The Carry-On Traveller: The Ultimate Guide to Packing Light (available on Amazon US and Amazon UK), which shares all my tips.
- 6 Years of Carry-On Travel: Our Packing List Update
- Carry-On Travel in 10 Easy Steps
- The Best Carry-On Backpack for Digital Nomads
- More posts about travel gear.
We are slow travellers. We value experiences over sights—participating in ordinary daily activities and connecting with a place through its food, people and culture, delving deeper into one destination rather than rushing through many. Read our Slow Travel Manifesto for more about the slow travel philosophy and how you can apply it even on short trips.
- Our Slow Travel Manifesto
- Our Favourite Slow Travel Experiences
- Our 10 Favourite Neighbourhoods Around the World
Being a Digital Nomad
As digital nomads we can work from anywhere we have an internet connection. We share the ups and downs of working while travelling and offer tips to help you get started.
- How We Got Started As Digital Nomads
- How We Fund Our Permanent Travels
- 60 Useful Resources for Digital Nomads
- Reflections on 2000 days as Digital Nomads
- The Practicalities of Being a Digital Nomad Part 1: Insurance, Health, Banking, and Retirement
- The Practicalities of Being a Digital Nomad Part 2: Tax, Visas, Internet & Phone, One Way Flights, and Security
- How to Buy Travel Insurance When You Are Already Travelling
- A Digital Nomad’s Guide to Buying Local SIM Cards Around the World
- A Beginner’s Guide to Running While Travelling
- More posts about being a digital nomad.
Don’t let a lack of money stop you travelling. Read these tips on how to afford to travel, and our reports on exactly how much we spend in each place.
- How We Saved 75% of Our Income to Travel
- How To Budget For Long Term Travel (including the costs of our first RTW trip)
- How to Manage Your Finances When Travelling
- The Cost of Digital Nomad Living: Year 4 Budget and 3.5 Year Budget.
- Our travel budgets in Turkey, Malaysia, Cambodia, Paris, Cuba, Italy, Japan, and South America.
- For longer stays we share our cost of living in Ubud, Bali; Lake Atitlan, Guatemala; San Pancho and Playa del Carmen, Mexico; and Chiang Mai, Thailand.
- More posts about travel finances.
We track our travel expenses with our iOS app Trail Wallet. We designed it especially for travellers so you can set a daily or trip budget, enter expenses in multiple currencies, and see which categories are eating up your cash on the pie chart. Join over 80,000 other travellers and download it here (it’s free for up to 25 items).
Food is our favourite way to connect with a new culture and we are always on the search for the best vegetarian food around the world, and love to take cooking classes and food tours to learn more.
Vegetarian food around the world:
- Vegetarian Survival Guides to: Turkey, Cambodia, Slovenia, Mexico, Jordan, Burma (Myanmar), Japan, Hong Kong, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Paraguay, and Brazil.
- Our favourite vegetarian-friendly restaurants in Ubud, Bali; Portland, San Diego, and San Francisco, USA; Playa del Carmen and San Pancho, Mexico; London, England; Ghent, Belgium; Chiang Mai, Thailand; Kyoto, Japan; and Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Food guides to Tuscany and Puglia in Italy.
Cooking courses and food tours:
- Cooking classes in Turkey, Mexico, Italy (Tuscany), Italy (Puglia), Japan, and Thailand.
- Food tours in Istanbul, Mexico City, Tuscany, and Rome.
- More posts about world food.
Selling Everything You Own
We did it and have never looked back.
- Highlights of Year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 as Digital Nomads
- The Best of South America Part 1 and Part 2
- Random Observations About Cambodia, Cuba, Jordan, Japan, Thailand and Burma
- Guides to help you plan your trip to Cappadocia, Angkor Wat, Koh Lanta, Chiang Mai, Yosemite, Cuba, Jordan, Myanmar/Burma, Hong Kong, and Japan.
- Our Favourite Tropical Islands in Asia, Fiji and the Cook Islands
- Download our free South America Highlights ebook for tips on travelling on the continent.
- To browse by country see our Destinations page.
Our favourite accommodation is apartments but we also love family-run guesthouses, luxury boutique hotels, treehouses, and housesitting. We share our tips on the best places to stay.
- How to Use Airbnb to Find Cheap Apartments Around the World
- How We Find Apartments Around the World: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
- The Search For An Apartment in Chiang Mai
- Sleeping With Monks: A Night in a Japanese Temple in Koya-San
- The Joys of House Sitting
- Why You Should Try Couchsurfing
- More posts about our favourite hotels and apartments.
- Havana: A Photo Essay
- Magnificent Petra: A Photo Essay
- White Temple, Chiang Rai: A Photo Essay
- The Black House, Chiang Rai: A Photo Essay
- Yee Peng Floating Lantern Festival: A Photo Essay
- For more of our photography see our Photo page or take a look at our photo essays and photos of the week.
Simon gets creative.
- Monkey Attack! An Illustrated Tale
- Things To Do in the Dead Sea: An Illustrated Guide
- Bolivian Bus Hell: An Illustrated Guide
Keep in Touch
For a free copy of our South America Highlights ebook sign up for our monthly newsletter for updates, travels tips and exclusive content you won’t find on the blog.
Enter your email address here to get your free ebook and newsletter:
Once you have signed up and confirmed your subscription we’ll email you a link to South America Highlights so you can download it right away.