For ¥100, a vending machine at the Golden Temple in Kyoto will tell you your fortune. It told us that, if our fortune was excellent, very good, pretty good or good, we should take it with us. Otherwise, we should tie it to the appropriate place (it failed to mention where that appropriate place was).
Here’s what it had to say…
When spring come, snow’s melting. Wait for some time. Nightingale! Poetic AND cryptic. Nice.
Your Fortune: Pretty Good
Be modest (pretty tricky when you’re as awesome as I am) and faithful. You’d better not try to do anything with your own will (that’s OK, Erin’s in charge anyhow). An ill-minded person may cause you some troubles. Be careful of your company.
- wish: Don’t be in a hurry. Wait for a good chance.
- expected visitor: Though he will be late, he is sure to come (I think this one is about Keith)
- missing thing: It’s difficult to find (that has to be either the plane adapter for my noise-cancelling headphones or my Mac’s chamois cloth)
- travel: Be alert on thieves (seriously, Japan is, like, the least dangerous place ever)
- business: Not so good now. You’ll get little profit. (Anyone need a website?)
- study: Banish worldly thoughts from your mind. Study hard. (Great advice for a long-term traveller…)
- speculation: It’s not time to buy or sell. Take your time.
- game and match: Trust your partner or team mates.
- love: Study on your lover. (Make notes on her arms? Use her as a table?)
- removal: The sooner, the better.
- childbirth: Easy to birth. (good to know, what with the whole not having a womb thing)
- illness: Change your sanatorium. (I takes my sanatoriums where I can find them)
- marriage proposal: Some gossips will cause you trouble. Be cautious.
I don’t actually think this is a Pretty Good fortune after all—seems like there’s a lot of bad news in there. Maybe I should tie it to an appropriate place anyway.
Learn more about Kyoto temples and shrines in our detailed guide.
Are you planning your next travel adventure? See our Travel Resources page for our favourite tools and gear to help you plan the perfect trip.