How to Get an Indonesia Visa Extension in Bali and Stay up to Six Months

This page contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.

Yes, it is possible to stay in Bali for up to six months on one visa! We just finished our second five-month stay and spent our entire time in Bali without having to do any annoying visa runs.

Here’s how to get your Indonesia visa extension in Bali:

1) Get an Indonesian Tourist Visa in Advance

Before you arrive in Bali, you need to apply for a 60-day Indonesian tourist visa from an Indonesian embassy in your home country or a neighbouring country like Singapore or Malaysia.

Here’s how we got an Indonesian visa in Singapore and London. Applying in Asia is easier as there are fewer requirements (you’ll still need an onward ticket though). Flights from Bali to Singapore are cheap, so it’s easy to stop there for a few days on your way to Indonesia.

Some people think it’s necessary to apply for an Indonesian social visa but a tourist visa works just as well, and you don’t need a local sponsor.

Once you enter Indonesia with your new visa, you’ll be able to stay for 60 days.

If you choose not to get a visa in advance, you can pay for the 30-day Visa on Arrival at the airport, which can be extended for an extra 30 days but only once, so you’d need to leave the country after 60 days. The free 30-day visa waiver is not extendable.

As for most countries, make sure your passport is valid for at least six months after your arrival date.

2) Find a Bali Visa Extension Agent

You could get your Bali visa extension yourself, but it’s a real hassle and involves three separate trips to the immigration office in Denpasar every month. Chances are you’re in Bali to relax on the beach or do yoga in Ubud, so you don’t want to be spending so much time in Denpasar (an hour’s drive from Ubud).

Instead, you want to find a Bali visa extension agent who will take care of it all for you. We paid 650,000 IDR ($49) each, but it was worth it for the time and stress saved.

There are many visa agents in Bali, but you want to choose someone reliable—a personal recommendation is best.

We get our visa extensions in Ubud. On our first trip we used Elizabeth who is based near the Alchemy restaurant in Penestanan. She was rather terse and not the best at communication, but she was efficient and reliable. You can call her on 0813 3842 4617 or ask for directions to her office in Alchemy.

On our second visit we used Bali Viza, who will conveniently collect and deliver your passport from your house or hotel. I communicated with Nika on Facebook (search for Nika Baleva) and she always responded quickly and we never had any problems. Bali Viza operates over most of Bali and can collect and deliver passports for free in south Bali and Ubud.

You can also look for agent recommendations in the Ubud Community Facebook group

Getting an Indonesia visa extension in Ubud - sunrise volcano view.
The sunrise view from our house in Ubud

3) Start the Process Two Weeks Before Your Visa Expires

After you’ve been in Bali about six weeks, you’ll need to start your visa extension process. Your agent will advise you on the best time to start taking into account public holidays that can close the immigration office and delay the process.

Our first visa expired during Eid when the office was closed for over a week, so we handed over our passports to Bali Viza 2.5 weeks before our visas expired.

Remove any passport covers before you send them to immigration as ours returned without them.

4) Visit the Denpasar Immigration Office for the First Extension

Unfortunately, you do have to visit the Denpasar Immigration Office on one occasion, but it’s only for your first extension to get your fingerprints and photo taken.

We went to the office about a week after we handed over our passports. It took us 50 minutes to drive there on a motorbike from Ubud—look for Immigration Office Class 1 on Google Maps.

We arrived at 10 am and it took us 1.5 hours because the photo machine broke and they were busy before the holiday. Last time we were only there for 15 minutes. The agent meets you and takes care of everything. They give you a queue number and you just have to wait for your number to be called.

Usually, your passport and new visa extension will be delivered three or four days after fingerprinting. For us, it was delayed because of the holiday and our passports were away for over three weeks. Make sure you keep a copy of your passport.

5) Extend Up to Four Times

60-day tourist visas can be extended four times for 30 days each time for a total stay of 180 days. Note that 30 days is not a full calendar month. We also ended up losing one day for some reason on our first extension.

Subsequent extensions are easier. You don’t need to go to Denpasar and can start the process a week or so before the expiry date. You should expect to be without your passport for 10–14 days a month though.

If this is too much time, you can pay extra for an express extension. Bali Viza charges 1,000,000 IDR ($75) and it takes 2–3 working days.

6) Enjoy Bali!

Enjoy your extended stay on this beautiful island!

If you are looking for some ideas, see our favourite things to do in Ubud, our yoga in Ubud guide, a digital nomad guide to Ubud, and a fantastic off the beaten track Bali road trip.

Let us know if you have any questions and share your experiences with getting a visa extension in Bali.

If you enjoyed this post, pin it!

Wondering how to stay up to six months in Bali? Here's a step by step guide on how we extended our Indonesian visa!


  1. If I Get the social cultural 60-day visa that can be extended several times, what happens if I end up leaving the country during that time frame? will it still be valid for the remaining time when I return or will I lose it?

    Reply ↓

  2. This blog should be updated. There have been changes since it was written. Currently The longest you can stay on a VOA is 60 days and the longest you can stay on a social visa is five months. You cannot apply for a social visa while Indonesia and it must be applied for at a foreign embassy. There is currently no way to stay more than 60 days on a tourist visa.

    Reply ↓

    • I just checked with Bali Viza (who extended our visa on our last trip) and they said they can still extend a 60-day tourist visa (which is basically the same as a social visa). A Visa on Arrival is different from a 60-day tourist visa that you get outside the country.

      Reply ↓

  3. I am leaving for Bali tomorrow (23/10) and I haven’t contacted anyone, I plan on staying in Bali for 6 months….. what is the best plan. Thanks Ke

    Reply ↓

    • If you haven’t got a visa already you will need to leave the country (probably to Singapore) to get one. You might be able to extend the visa you got on arrival first before having to leave. I recommend contacting Bali Viza for advice.

      Reply ↓

  4. Hi, any changes to bali visas now in 2019/2020 ?
    Planning to go in 2020 and want to stay full 4 months without leaving, we’re from USA and don’t have Indonesian embassy nearby, do we have to go straight for social visa and can everything be done online?

    Reply ↓

    • No changes that I know of. If you don’t get a visa in the US you’ll have to get one in Singapore or elsewhere first. You can then extend the 60 day tourist visa twice for a total stay of 120 days.

      Reply ↓

      • It is actually 180 days on a social visa in total. As I do it twice a year. I go to Singapore with my sponsor letter from my husband get 60 days initially and then extend 4 times after that. Which totals 180 days from entering Indonesia to having to leave again.

        Reply ↓

  5. Hey, how many times can you do a visa run? I have done 2 in the past year now but still am not done exploring these beautiful islands

    Reply ↓

    • There’s no official limit and many people do them indefinitely, but there’s always the chance they’ll stop letting you back in.

      Reply ↓

  6. If I get a visa on arrival ( 30$) how soon should I apply for an extension of 30 days. I plan on doing it myself is it complicated. I know I can only extend this once. Thanks for any onfo.

    Reply ↓

    • I’m not sure but I would think a week or two before it expires should be ok. I really would recommend getting an agent to do it though because otherwise you have to visit immigration three times.

      Reply ↓

  7. Hello, could you tell me how soon you can re-enter Indonesia on this visa (is it the tourist or social visa that you’re talking about) once you have used each of your 4 extensions? Do you have to wait a certain amount of time to re-enter (like the 90-day period in Europe), or can you re-enter whenever you have your new visa? Thank you SO much in advance.

    Reply ↓

    • We always get a tourist visa but it’s possible that when the agent extends it she gets it converted to a social visa. We’re not involved in that and just get a tourist visa at the consulate.

      There is no set amount of time and many people do live in Bali indefinitely by getting multiple visas back to back. We’ve never done this though.

      Reply ↓

  8. I rang Indonesia embassy in Canberra. Australia
    They told me only a social cultural Visa can be extended 3 Times.
    Not a tourist Visa obtained in Australia

    Reply ↓

    • We’ve never got our tourist visa in Australia, but we have definitely extended tourist visas we’ve got in London and Singapore. It’s possible that our agent in Bali somehow converted the tourist visa to a social one, but we didn’t need to be involved in that and it was all very easy.

      Reply ↓

    • Well that is incorrect. A social visa can be extended up to 4 times after the initial 60 day visa. I do it twice a year in Singapore and stay in Bali 180 days and log back to Singapore and do it all again, have been doing this for years now.

      Reply ↓

  9. I’ve been researching this and keep finding conflicting information. If I get a VOA (the paid visa that grants a 30 day stay with the option to extend for another 30 days), can I do a visa run once those first 60 days are up, reenter Bali/Indonesia, and get another VOA? Apologies if this seems a silly question, but I’m definitely getting confused between the social visa and the paid VOA. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

    Reply ↓

    • Technically yes you could, although with these things there’s always a chance they could deny you entry.

      Reply ↓

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *. Your email address will not be published. By clicking the Submit button, you give consent for us to store your information for the purposes of displaying your comment and you accept the terms of our Privacy Policy.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.